This morning after my Meditation I was sitting with my Hot home made “HaHaChai” (Yes, I named my chai tea 😉
A thought came to my mind. Good Vs Bad. When I try to categorize things as good and bad –my reactions are – Fear, Hate, un-Forgiveness, Avoid at any cost – towards the BAD.
But let us take a closer look at the Bad – how many of us intentionally do bad things. May be say 20% I would say – the rest 80% is because of ignorance. Now if I replace the word Bad with Mad (Ignorance in my way of thinking) then my feelings are – Feeling sorry, Compassion, Forgiveness, Extend a helping hand. Wow so just by putting a different label my whole reaction changes 180 degrees.
Man !!! Has anyone come across similar thinking or events, where a small shift in the word or perceptions changes the whole picture.
I once had a sales coach who told me, “Don’t think of yourself as a salesman, think of yourself as a leader.” WOW what a difference that made for me- in my mind AND body, breathing, facial expression, etc 🙂
…and our good friend Rich Dowling talks a lot about the power of the labels we put on things or ourselves.
How about the chosen “label” for our meetup group members: Spiritual Beings. Much better than bodies or performers or victims or rockstars or business owners or fighters or …….
This is something that’s fairly new to me and I’m embracing it with all of my might! I’m finally learning how our experience in any given moment, is reflected by our perception of that moment.
If I perceive something as bad, I will have negative emotions and thoughts towards it and then I will subsequently feel bad as well. If I perceive something as challenging, or just something I don’t want to be a part of, my thoughts and feelings can remain in a positive place.
I see it as the difference between discernment and judgment. Discernment = positive. Judgment=negative. It’s very liberating, isn’t it?
I’m finding my perspective towards outer things/people as well me and my inner stuff, is what dictates the outcome. I’ve heard it for years…read about it over and over…but I’m finally ‘getting’ on how to apply it.